Thursday, July 18, 2013

Homesickness....

When I was growing up, I was the proverbial homesick child!  I mean, REALLY homesick...not just a little...a LOT.  I couldn't spend the night with a friend until I was much older, like maybe high school because when it came night time, I just wanted to be in my bed at my house with my parents.  One summer, probably between 8th and 9th grade I went to Houston with a friend of mine for a week to stay with her sister and "vacation".  The excitement building up to that trip was awesome!  They had so many fun things planned and I could not WAIT to go!  Fast forward first night there, and things went downhill...I wanted to go home!!  Like not in a week, not in a day, RIGHT THEN.  I seriously cannot believe what I put my parents through those days, but I'll save the huge story and say that my dad ended up driving 4 hours to Houston to come get me!!!  Crazy,....I know!  Anyway, fast forward to today, July 18, 2013...my 15 yr old daughter (9th grade going into 10th grade) went to cheer camp tuesday and that night was ready for me to come get her!  I mean not the next day, not two days, but right then!!!  Unfortunately it didn't end like my trip, she is still there....suffering at Great Wolf Lodge, and indoor water park in Dallas, TX.  I am wrought with guilt about not running and getting her, but also know in my 40 year mind right now that she cannot come home.  If she comes home, she will no longer be a high school cheerleader (which is very important to her) and would probably be ridiculed by her friends for leaving.  But much worse than that, she would be letting her team down.  A cheer team that has practiced all summer for camp and is counting on her to be part of the routine.  Oh the trials and tribulations of parenthood. Why does it have to be so hard???  Stay tuned, she comes home tomorrow...hope we both make it until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment